We are looking for design engineers - Physics for the R&D Department at ASML! Do you have excellent modelling and simulation skills? Do you know how to use your Physics and mathematical knowledge to help improve the performance of ASML systems? Do you like working together in multi-disciplinary teams to improve our products and to enable our clients to create the world’s most advanced chips? Then this position is the perfect fit for you!
Physics is at the heart of everything we do at ASML. We have multiple opportunities for medior design engineer with a Physics background. Every day, you make use of technology that contains microchips. From smartphones and laptops to cars and airplanes. Technologies such as AI, robotic process automation and 5G will fuel the growth of the semiconductor industry even more. Since ASML is worldwide leader in high-end lithography systems for the semi-conductor industry, there’s a huge demand for our machines.
Watch the video below to learn more about ASML and the advanced systems we produce: ASML IN 1 MINUTE
Role and responsibilities
As a design engineer – Physics (Overlay-, Focus-, Imaging, - or Reference- Engineer) you contribute to the development of ASML products by testing, analyzing, qualifying, troubleshooting and reporting either one or a combination of these system performance items and inventing and specifying improvements within the restrictions imposed by system specifications, costs and planning considerations. We are responsible for the performance of the system as a whole.
You will work on a range of physics-based challenges that our lithography machines face, in collaboration with our software engineers. As a medior design engineer– Physics you will work at either the Performance & Integration, Metrology or Apps department, depending on your background and personal preferences.
Besides that you will:
- Specify, test, and analyze qualification and calibration tests and report on the results.
- Invent and design new calibration and qualification methods.
- Applying innovative data analytics methods.
- Use statistical methods to show improvements or issues.
- Support the internal and external customers in solving system performance issues.
- Contribute to ASML’s product performance roadmap.
- Steer a team of multidisciplinary designers and representatives of other sectors to deliver the deliver the required improvements.
Within physics there are different departments that you could be selected for:
- Performance & Integration OR System Performance: is part of the Development and Engineering sector of ASML. We predict and optimize how our scanners will perform in their natural habitat: our customer’s wafer fabrication.
- Metrology: is the scientific study of measurement. It establishes a common understanding of units that are used across the full range of human endeavor. At ASML, it is based to a large degree around the use of cutting-edge software tools. As our lithography machines get faster and faster, and the patterns on chips get smaller and smaller, we must keep correcting even for the most infinitesimal physical imperfections in our machines. The metrology department imperfections made by hardware are corrected by software.
- Applications: the Applications D&E department aims to be our customers’ first choice providing self-learning metrology and fabricating solutions for efficient control, faster ramp-up and optimal output. All development activities need to be conducted within the constraints of specification, time and budget as demanded by market conditions. Additionally, a technical consulting activity for our customers is operated, that designs and helps implementing integral solutions for On-Product Performance (OPP) based on the products developed by ASML.
Education and experience
Masters or PhD in:
- Applied Mathematics
- Engineering (mechanical, electrical or chemical)
With a solid background in the majority of the following fields: statistics, data analysis, control theory, (semiconductor) process technology, semiconductor device physics, and/or Design of Experiment. Other than that:
- Solid theoretical and/or experimental skills, supported by experience with mathematical modeling, statistics and model verification.
- Helicopter view on complex systems.
- Strong analytical ability with a pragmatic attitude. Helicopter view, broad scope and team-player. Good communicational skills and good knowledge of English.
- Having industrial experience in a relevant area is a pre.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way do that. As a design engineer – physics, you won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
How to proceed from here?
Are you interested? Please apply now as a design engineer – Physics!
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.
Our Talent Acquisition advisors are going to take a look at which department is the best fit for you!
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Our company creates the conditions that enable you to realize your full potential. We provide state-of-the-art facilities, opportunities to develop your talents, international career opportunities, a stimulating and inspiring environment, and most of all, the commitment of a company that recognizes and rewards outstanding performance. An assessment will be part of the recruitment process. We do not accept unsolicited resumes from any agencies that have not signed a mutual service agreement. All unsolicited resumes will be considered ASML’s property, and we will not be obligated to pay a referral fee. This includes resumes submitted directly to hiring managers without contacting the Resource Center Department. ASML is GDPR compliant, therefore we cannot process applications sent outside of our recruitment system. If you are interested in this vacancy please apply.